The Minister of Health of the United Kingdom, Matt Hancock, today rejected the conspiracy theories

London, May 6 (Prensa Latina) The Minister of Health of the United Kingdom, Matt Hancock, today rejected the conspiracy theories that speak about the possible human origin of the new coronavirus causing the Covid-19 pandemic.

We have studied this, and have no evidence that this is a man-made coronavirus, the British official said on a Sky News program where he answered questions from viewers.

According to Hancock, it has also not been shown that there is a link between the origin of the pandemic and the fact that the first cases of the disease were registered in the Chinese city of Wuhan where there were two laboratories doing research on coronavirus.

We have not seen any evidence of that relationship, so there is nothing to confirm what some people are saying, the British minister stressed, when asked if he shared the opinion of the President of the United States, Donald Trump, one of the defenders of that conspiracy theory against China.

In the opinion of the British Minister of Health, everything indicates that the disease ‘jumped’ at some point from an animal to a human being.

The state-owned BBC network said on Wednesday, for its part, that a group of researchers from the American university of Tulane denied that the SARS-CoV-2 causing Covid-19 is a biological weapon created by man.

We were able to determine, by decoding the genetic material of the new coronavirus, that it is not a laboratory creation, but rather a product of natural evolution, said Dr. Robert E. Garry.

According to the expert, after analyzing the genetic material of the new coronavirus and comparing it with the viruses that are currently in virology laboratories, it was concluded that it is impossible that anyone could have created it artificially.

We’re not ready for the next epidemic, By Bill Gates

I am in Vancouver this week attending the TED conference. I just gave a brief talk on a subject that I’ve been learning a lot about lately—epidemics.

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is a tragedy—as I write this, more than 10,000 people have died. I’ve been getting regular updates on the case counts through the same system we use to track new cases of polio. Also, last month I was lucky enough to have an in-depth discussion with Tom Frieden and his team at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

What I’ve learned is very sobering. As awful as this epidemic has been, the next one could be much worse. The world is simply not prepared to deal with a disease—an especially virulent flu, for example—that infects large numbers of people very quickly. Of all the things that could kill 10 million people or more, by far the most likely is an epidemic.

But I believe we can prevent such a catastrophe by building a global warning and response system for epidemics. It would apply the kind of planning that goes into national defense—systems for recruiting, training, and equipping health workers; investments in new tools; etc.—to the effort to prevent and contain outbreaks.

This is what my TED talk was about. You can watch it here:

The more I learn about what it takes to respond to an epidemic, the more impressed I am by the health workers who have been risking their lives to care for the sick. Just putting on a protective suit is huge undertaking. Once it’s on, it’s hard to hear what anyone else is saying, and you start to sweat after just a few minutes.

Here’s a short photo essay about one attempt to solve this problem that I was involved with.

At TED we also put together an exhibit where attendees could try on a suit for themselves:

Finally, if you’re interested in learning more, you might want to check out this op-ed I wrote for the New York Times. And if you are willing to read a little more (okay, a lot more), here is a longer paper I wrote for the New England Journal of Medicine.

Melinda and I remain committed to improving the health of the poorest 2 billion. The good news is, many of the steps required to save lives in poor countries—such as strengthening health systems—also improve the world’s ability to deal with epidemics. So I’m optimistic that we can solve this problem. Making the right investments now could save millions of lives.

U.S. rearms to nullify China’s missile supremacy

HONG KONG (Reuters) – As Washington and Beijing trade barbs over the coronavirus pandemic, a longer-term struggle between the two Pacific powers is at a turning point, as the United States rolls out new weapons and strategy in a bid to close a wide missile gap with China.

Missile (TLAM) is launched from the guided missile cruiser USS Cape St. George in the eastern Mediterranean Sea March 23, 2003.

The United States has largely stood by in recent decades as China dramatically expanded its military firepower. Now, having shed the constraints of a Cold War-era arms control treaty, the Trump administration is planning to deploy long-range, ground-launched cruise missiles in the Asia-Pacific region.

The Pentagon intends to arm its Marines with versions of the Tomahawk cruise missile now carried on U.S. warships, according to the White House budget requests for 2021 and Congressional testimony in March of senior U.S. military commanders. It is also accelerating deliveries of its first new long-range anti-ship missiles in decades.

In a statement to Reuters about the latest U.S. moves, Beijing urged Washington to “be cautious in word and deed,” to “stop moving chess pieces around” the region, and to “stop flexing its military muscles around China.”

The U.S. moves are aimed at countering China’s overwhelming advantage in land-based cruise and ballistic missiles. The Pentagon also intends to dial back China’s lead in what strategists refer to as the “range war.” The People’s Liberation Army (PLA), China’s military, has built up a huge force of missiles that mostly outrange those of the U.S. and its regional allies, according to senior U.S. commanders and strategic advisers to the Pentagon, who have been warning that China holds a clear advantage in these weapons.

And, in a radical shift in tactics, the Marines will join forces with the U.S. Navy in attacking an enemy’s warships. Small and mobile units of U.S. Marines armed with anti-ship missiles will become ship killers.

In a conflict, these units will be dispersed at key points in the Western Pacific and along the so-called first island chain, commanders said. The first island chain is the string of islands that run from the Japanese archipelago, through Taiwan, the Philippines and on to Borneo, enclosing China’s coastal seas.

Top U.S. military commanders explained the new tactics to Congress in March in a series of budget hearings. The commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps, General David Berger, told the Senate Armed Services Committee on March 5 that small units of Marines armed with precision missiles could assist the U.S. Navy to gain control of the seas, particularly in the Western Pacific. “The Tomahawk missile is one of the tools that is going to allow us to do that,” he said.

The Tomahawk – which first gained fame when launched in massed strikes during the 1991 Gulf War – has been carried on U.S. warships and used to attack land targets in recent decades. The Marines would test fire the cruise missile through 2022 with the aim of making it operational the following year, top Pentagon commanders testified.

Video shows moment ex-US Special Forces captured after Venezuela coup attempt


Video shows moment ex-US Special Forces captured after Venezuela coup attempt

Dramatic video shows the moment a pair of former US Special Forces soldiers were captured by Venezuelan troops after what officials are calling a coup attempt to oust President Nicolás Maduro.

Footage shows Luke Denman, 34, and Airan Berry, 41 with their hands up in the air in the port city of La Guaira, being walked to shore at gunpoint, according to the Daily Mail.

They are then forced to lay down on the ground with six other men — believed to be among the 300 mercenaries recruited in Columbia for the failed coup attempt.

Former Green Beret Jordan Goudreau claimed responsibility for orchestrating the raid, calling it “Operation Gideon” and saying it was an attempt to capture Maduro and “liberate” the South American nation.


Powered by News Corp

UN’s website highlights medical students’ efforts in Cuba


United Nations, May 5 (Prensa Latina) The story of two Sahrawis girls who study medicine in Cuba, and together with Cuban health professionals, help fight the new Covid-19 pandemic, are the headlines on the UN´s news website.

Instructed and guided by their professors, Umajutha and Maglaha, Saharawi medical student refugees, make a house-to-house screening by inquiring about inhabitants´ health conditions and giving some advice for preventing contagion, hygiene and social isolation.

Both medical students assure that this is their only way of thanking Cuba for giving them the opportunity to study medicine.

‘Like many other young Sahrawis and from other parts of the world, including some of other refugees, Umajutha and Maglaha benefited from scholarships granted by Cuba to study medicine in the country.’

The UN news website posted that Umajutha and Maglaha know and apply all health standards to protect themselves in their community work.


Powered by Plenglish

Liberals Rewrite History to Justify Their #MeToo Hypocrisy, The Biden–Kavanaugh Double Standard

It’s absurd to suggest that Christine Blasey Ford is more credible than Tara Reade.

You can believe whomever you choose in the alleged sexual-misconduct cases of Joe Biden and Brett Kavanaugh, but you can’t revise history to erase your partisan double standards.

One of the most egregious examples of revisionism can be found in a column by the New York Times’ Michelle Goldberg, who employs nearly every attack Americans were warned never to use against alleged sexual-assault victims during the Kavanaugh hearings — questioning their motivations, asking why they didn’t file charges, attacking them for not remembering specifics, etc. And yet, even if we adopt Goldberg’s new standards, Tara Reade still emerges as a more credible accuser than Christine Blasey Ford.

For starters, Ford was unable to offer a time or place or a single contemporaneous corroborating witness. Ford offered no evidence that she even knew Kavanaugh. Reade worked for Joe Biden. Reade has offered a specific time and place for the attack.

The Biden–Kavanaugh Double
Standard

Goldberg contends that Ford’s case against Kavanaugh was bolstered by “four sworn affidavits” from witnesses whom she’d told that she’d been assaulted.

This is an especially misleading comparison since the charges against Kavanaugh, unlike the ones against Biden, were investigated by the FBI. The question is how many “affidavits” would there be in support of Reade’s allegations if there were an official inquiry into her claims — and one conducted by the authorities, not an “unbiased, apolitical panel, put together by the D.N.C.,” as Goldberg’s newspaper desires?

There are already reportedly at least four people on the record who maintain Reade told them about the Biden incident, including her mother, who reportedly called in to “Larry King Live” in 1993, right after the alleged sexual assault took place, looking for advice; her neighbor, who claims that Reade told her about the assault a few years after it happened; and a friend, who says that Reade told her about the assault in 2007 or 2008.

Every witness that Ford claimed had been at the suburban Maryland party where Kavanaugh allegedly attacked her had no recollection of the assault or even the gathering where it supposedly happened. This group included Ford’s longtime friend Leland Keyser.

If Goldberg’s standard of credibility is measured by the number of “sworn affidavits” in existence, then she should be calling for an investigation into Reade’s story so that the two allegations can be subjected to the same level of scrutiny.

Another reason Ford is a more credible accuser than Reade, argues Goldberg, is that the latter’s story has changed. Goldberg even insinuates that Reade’s neighbor might be lying because she has trouble recalling if Reade relayed the story to her in 1995 or 1996.

That’s another new and convenient standard. It should be mentioned that during the Kavanaugh hearings we were told that it’s normal for victims not to recall every detail about these unconscionable attacks — which makes a lot of sense.

Unlike Ford’s story, which had evolved — changing places, years, seasons, and the number of attackers — Reade’s story has hardly budged, other than in regards to some hazy recollections about when or how she filed a report about Biden. Then again, if having a consistent story is the new measurement of credibility, Reade is at least as reliable as Ford.

Another reason to doubt Reade’s allegations, contends New York magazine’s Jonathan Chait, is that she coordinated “her statements with Bernie Sanders supporters to maximize their political impact.” Others, such as NeverTrumper Charlie Sykes, have insinuated even uglier conspiracies to discredit Reade, pointing out that she once deleted a pro-Putin tweet. Apparently Reade has been working the long con for the Russians since 1993. (Ford, incidentally, deleted her entire social-media history before making her accusations public.)

Unlike Reade, Ford didn’t mention the alleged assault to anyone for around 25 years, until Kavanaugh’s name began appearing in the media as a prospective Supreme Court justice in 2012, and even then, it seems she only specifically cited the judge’s name after Donald Trump nominated him. If you want to maximize political impact, coming forward during a contentious Supreme Court nomination hearing after three decades of silence probably qualifies.

Both Goldberg and Chait also note that Ford’s therapist’s notes corroborate her claims. The notes do not exactly bolster her credibility, though. For one thing, Ford refused to turn over those notes to Senate Judiciary Committee investigators, instead handing snippets to a favorable reporter at the Washington Post. As far as we know, those notes conflict with her testimony regarding the number of attackers and the year. Moreover, why do therapist’s notes from 2012 speak to the credibility of an alleged victim more than a 1993 call from a mother?

It’s not a mystery why liberals want Ford to seem more credible. At first the media completely ignored Reade’s allegations. But once reporters began responsibly reporting the story — a professionalism that wasn’t afforded to Kavanaugh — the same liberals who had demanded we “believe all women” began flailing to rewrite history.

In USA Today, Kirsten Powers argued that “there is no ‘double standard’ in the way Kavanaugh was treated vs. Biden,” because Democrats had merely called for the accusations to be investigated. That, too, is revisionism. Almost every Democratic senator had called for Trump to withdraw the nomination over the assault charges — many of those calls, in fact, were based on even flimsier accusations, recklessly spread by the press and politicians.

It’s possible that Reade’s credibility would suffer, as did Ford’s, if an investigation took a deeper look. Yet, none of the Democrats who dispensed with due process and embraced Ford’s accusations have shown the slightest interest in speaking with Reade. They’ve simply adopted new guidelines for “believing women” and left liberal pundits with the job of justifying their actions — which they dutifully do.

Of course, none of the above is dispositive or unequivocal evidence of sexual assault on its own. We can never really know. But the notion that Ford is a more credible accuser than Reade doesn’t stand up to even the most basic examination. It’s just a flimsy excuse for hypocrisy.


Powered by National Review

Argentina launches device to detect cases of Covid-19


Buenos Aires, May 5 (Prensa Latina) The Argentine Ministry of Health announced today the launch of the DETeCTAr program (Strategic Test Device for Coronavirus in the Field), which will allow testing to find people with symptoms of Covid-19.

In a new part, the Secretary of Access to Health, Carla Vizzotti, explained that this initiative is launched jointly in several places and seeks, through a testing device, to find those who may have the symptoms of the virus and make an early diagnosis. .

The official specified that the operation will be carried out in the Mugica neighborhoods, former Villa 31 of this capital, and in La Paz, Quilmes municipality, in the province of Buenos Aires.

Vizzotti explained that once a symptomatic case has been found, the test will be carried out in order to provide adequate care, carry out early detection and avoid the possible spread of the pandemic.

The first two test sites are carried out in areas where a large number of cases are concentrated due to Covid-19, which mainly hits the Argentine capital and the so-called Buenos Aires metropolitan area.

On the other hand, it was known that in the last 24 hours, 104 new cases were reported due to the virus, which brought infections to 4,888, and the number of fatal victims rose to 262.

The previous week, the Argentine government had carried out another initiative to carry out rapid tests in places such as train and metro stations, seeking to find asymptomatic people to find out whether or not they generated antibodies.


Powered by Plenglish

Former President Cardoso warns of dictatorship’s return to Brazil


Brasilia, May 5 (Prensa Latina) Former President Fernando Henrique Cardoso (1995-2003) warned that Brazil could face a new wall, in reference to the military dictatorship that ruled the country from 1964 to 1985, as he perceived a crisis of democracy today.

I have the feeling that terrible things can happen. Next year I’ll be 90 years old. That’s a very old age. At this point, it’s not easy to have to find a wall again… it’s difficult’, Cardoso told the newspaper Valor Economico.

He ruled out that the Armed Forces are preparing a coup d’état. ‘(But) they can be taken to (this)’, he warned.

He acknowledged that Brazilian democracy is in crisis and fears what could happen in the coming months.

For Cardoso, there is a clear movement towards a coup: ‘There is the momentum, the impetus of the people, including the president (Jair Bolsonaro). It’s serious’, he said.

He indicated that he has the feeling that those responsible for the country ‘have no idea of the reality’ and criticized the time Bolsonaro spent in confrontations with the institutions.

Apart from the pandemic and the recession, we lack leadership. It is the least help to get out of the crisis’, he said.

He insisted that Brazil is ‘in a kind of very dangerous vacuum because he who talks tough can win. Because society is afraid and fear can take you anywhere’.


Powered by Plenglish